The first couple of months of the new school year have been very busy for the pupils in St. Brigid’s. We have an enrolment of 123 pupils for the school year. We welcomed 22 second class boys in September and we have 12 children enrolled in our Preschool ASD classes. Thanks to the parents from 2nd Class who attended the open evening in September. Thanks also to the Parents Council for providing refreshments at this event.
We welcome Ms. Delaney (3rd Class), Ms. Dunphy (Special Class Teacher), Mr. Hayes (4th Class) and Ms. Loane (Support Teacher) who joined our teaching staff this year as well as Carol Clarke and Ann Mullens who joined as SNA’s. We wish Mrs. Irene Cahill well in her role as Deputy Principal.
As a DEIS school we have been granted access to the School Completion Programme this year. Robyn Alcock is the shared team worker with St. Brigid’s, Queen of the Universe and Colaiste Aindriu. She will provide academic, behavioural and emotional support to those in need.
Our school is focused on improving school attendance as part of our DEIS plan. Every day counts in your child’s education and we ask you to support the school in improving attendance. Each month the class with the highest overall attendance receives a certificate, treats and a chance to watch a movie. Each child with 100% attendance for that month will receive a small reward.
A new Green School Committee was set up by Mrs. Carrigan with two members from each class. As part of the Global Citizenship theme the school took part in the GOAL Jersey Day raising awareness of their humanitarian aid work to help some of the world’s most vulnerable communities. Thank you to all who supported this worthy cause raising over €220.
The Student Council for 2023/2024 was elected in October with two representatives from each class. Through our Student Council, St. Brigid’s N.S. hopes to give our pupils a more active role in the organisation of the school and ensure that they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns.
Maths week took place from 14th – 22nd of October. A number of activities took place within the school to promote enjoyment of Maths and highlight the creativity of the subject from Maths Trails, estimation activities and daily maths challenges. Well done to all the boys who sent in photos of themselves using their “ Maths eyes” at home.
Wolfwalkers: One Book One Film for All- this was a unique intergenerational family learning initiative for our 6th class children. The project was a collaboration between our HSCL Tommy Cox, the Kilkenny Carlow ETB and Cartoon Saloon and was an enriching experience for both students & families. This WolfWalkers Literacy Project was a family adventure combining a captivating book and film experience with learning activities along the way. As part of this project, children received a learning activity pack including the enchanting graphic novel WolfWalkers. Children were engaged on this learning journey with the fun activities like the scavenger hunt, the Matchbox Mountain Online Workshops and the community table quiz hosted by KCLR. Well done to all involved.
- Cumann na mBunscol – well done to the boys from 5th and 6th class who represented St. Brigid’s in the schools football competition. The team made it to the semi-final against Bennekerry but unfortunately it wasn’t their day.
- Carlow Sports Partnership in conjunction with SETU Carlow gave the school the chance to take part in Basketball coaching with a professional player for 5 weeks with 4th, 5th, 6th class developing their dribbling, shooting, passing and defence skills.
- Berard O’ Mara from the Bagenalstown Cricket Club coached the boys in 2nd, 3rd, 4th for 6 weeks. We look forward to taking part in a blitz with our local schools in the new year.
- Cycling Ireland offered the boys from 2nd-6th Class the opportunity to do free cycling lessons with Jason Clarke. This has gone very well despite the rain over the past couple of weeks.
The Parents Council AGM took place on 11th October. The newly elected committee members are:
Chairperson: Lorna O’ Brien Secretary: David Kelly and Helen Mc Cullagh Treasurer: Amanda Dillon Assistant Treasurer: Sandra McAssey
The term of the current Board of Management will finish at the end of next month. I would like to thank all who served on the board. Their support and hard work in helping with the smooth running of the school was very much appreciated by the staff and pupils of St. Brigid’s.
Important Dates for the Diary
- The enrolment process for Second Class 2024 will take place in January 2024. The Admissions Notice will be published on the school website www.stbrigidsboysns.ie in November.
- Confirmation will take place on 2nd March at 11am
- First Communion will take place on 11th May at 11am.
School will close for mid-term on Friday 27th October and reopen on Monday 6th November at 9am. We hope everyone enjoys a well deserved break over the mid-term. Happy Hallowe’en.