History of The School
In 1865, Fr. Morrin, P.P. of Bagenalstown, had a new national school, St. Brigid’s, built on the site of the present school. It consisted of three classrooms and a cloakroom. In 1868, the Christian Brothers came to work in the school. Br. Patrick Barry was the first Principal. In 1893 three De La Salle Brothers – Br. Gall Deasy, Superior and Principal of the school, Br. James Stakett and Br. Martin Crawford began in the school. In 1909 a large room was added to the school.
In 1932 the average attendance was high enough to employ a fourth teacher. In 1940 a fresh water supply was introduced into the school and new toilets were installed. The number in the school was 187. In 1943 St. Brigid’s celebrated the golden jubilee of its connection with the De La Salle Brothers.
Between 1909 and 1960 the principals of the school were; Br. Michael O’Leary, Br. Matthew, Br. Felix McCarthy, Br. Vincent Dudda, Br. Luke Dunne, Br. Seamus Francis Murphy, Br. Hilary Phelan, Br. Maurice Ward, Br. Dermot O’Keeffe, Br. David Brouder. In October 1960 an extension was added to the school. The extension consisted of three classrooms, cloakroom, staff room, toilets and two sheds.
Br. Finian was succeeded in 1971 as Principal by Br. Leo Looney who remained on until 1980. Br . Leo was succeeded in 1980 by Br. Francis McCallig.
Mr. Beaton came to the school in 1983 and took over as principal in 1992.
In 2014, the ASD preschool unit was added to the school along with an assembly hall. The ASD preschool consists of two classrooms, a sensory room, a para- educational room and a small kitchen. The ASD preschool was officially opened by the Minister for Education Jan O’ Sullivan in 2015.
Mrs. Tuffy replaced Mr. Beaton as principal in September 2021.